Which Eco Car Wash Products & Equipment Should Your Business Use?
Dec 1st 2021
Today in the NS Wash Blog, we are looking at eco car wash products and equipment, such as eco-friendly car wash soap and water reclaim systems, to better understand which ones are worth using at your retail car wash.
We hear a lot from our customers about environmental issues: consumer demand, governmental regulation, and genuine uncertainty about how to sort the good eco car wash products from the bad.
Why This Is Worth Caring About
Transitioning your car wash business to operate in a more eco-friendly manner has many advantages:
- It’s popular among motorists who care about being green, and fairly invisible among those who don’t. And, when you ask them, most motorists do care!
- It can reduce your pollution and make your environmental footprint smaller, which is genuinely worth doing so long as it doesn’t undermine the business side.
- You may eventually be compelled to do it anyway through new laws and regulations. Better to get ahead of the curve and do it on your own terms.
But as you can imagine, not all eco car wash products are created equally. So let’s take a closer look.
Modern Washing Equipment Makes a Huge Difference
Before getting down to the granular level of specific products like eco-friendly car wash soap, you have to look at the big picture. The two biggest problems with car washes, environmentally, are water usage and pollution.
Modern washing equipment can make a huge difference in both respects, particularly on the water usage side. Older systems use more water, despite cleaning less effectively. Over decades, manufacturers have fine-tuned their designs to do more with less.
If you are in a position to consider updating or expanding your wash facilities, our most highly recommended eco car wash product is the washing system itself. Our current generation of automatic retail car wash modules is the product of decades of experience meeting the needs of our customers, which is how NS Wash has become one of the biggest names in vehicle wash systems nationwide.
- Tip: We also manufacture washing systems for vehicle fleets and transit agencies, Just in case you need your train washed!
Upgrading Individual Components
It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing. If you can’t upgrade your entire system, you may still be able to replace individual components with eco car wash products. For example:
- Install low-flow water nozzles.
- Replace your drive system with a variable frequency drive (VFD). This also results in a smoother ride for the customer and less wear and tear on your system.
- Switch to an unheated blow dryer system if you are currently using heated air, or disconnect the heat except during the coldest parts of the year.
- Phase out conventional lighting in favor of LEDs.
Facility Modifications Can Trap Pollutants
Did you know that car washes are one of the major commercial sources of wastewater? Some pollution is unavoidable, so the matter becomes one of containment, filtration, reclamation, and mitigation. You can very likely make significant upgrades to your facility and grounds by installing eco car wash products to manage wastewater.
The main goal is to never let wastewater runoff sink into the ground or enter the storm drain system or natural waterways!
Two of the most effective modifications you can make include:
- Install filtration systems to clean wastewater before it goes any further (e.g., into a dedicated sanitary sewer system). To go even further, consider a fully integrated wastewater treatment system. NS Wash systems include filtration and water recovery components to help get you most of the way there.
- Install gravel traps to catch excess runoff that doesn’t make it into the primary drains. The gravel will act as an additional filtration layer. Thick grass is also an option, as the roots will trap some pollutants.
Eco-Friendly Car Wash Soaps & Cleaners
Finally, we come to the consumable eco car wash products. The brands you choose are less important than what’s on the ingredients label. In particular:
- Avoid products that use phosphates. Some states have already banned them, but even if yours hasn’t, don’t use them, because they are extremely destructive to aquatic ecosystems, hurting wildlife as well as other industries.
- Use biodegradable cleaners that won’t cause accumulative contamination problems in the long run.
The most eco-friendly car wash soaps are usually among the most boring, with no filler ingredients and no frills.
Go Green, Make Green. Learn More at NS Wash.
“Going green” isn’t just a buzzword if you do it right. Over the past seventy years, society has made continual strides away from hazardous materials and wasteful practices toward eco car wash products and practices that are much more sustainable. That work never truly ends, and it’s worth paying attention to so your car wash business doesn’t get left out of the conversation on best practices and branding.
If you are in the market to install new car wash systems at your retail car wash business (or at your vehicle fleet yards or transit depots), get in touch with NS Wash to discuss cost-effective options that will meet your goals. Contact us today!